Sunday, October 17, 2010

Learning a language - don't believe the hype!

Before I get into any discussion of specific language learning ebooks I want to emphasise one thing that I can say with absolute rock-solid certainty on the basis of my many years of experience learning languages:

THERE IS NO SHORT-CUT TO LEARNING A LANGUAGE!

And don't believe anyone who claims otherwise.

There are a LOT of courses, ebooks, websites and whatnot out there, making wild promises along the lines of:

Learn French in a Week!

Speak German like a Native Within a Month!

Now I jokingly wrote somewhere on this page, in reference to language learning, "You'll be fluent in no time!" But the fact is, learning a language, whether from an ebook or online course, a printed coursebook or in the classroom, is a process that takes TIME and EFFORT. When learning a language, this is something you should accept from the outset.

Learning a language means learning a SKILL. Can you learn to play the piano in a week? Of course not. Can you learn carpentry in a week? Not likely! For you to take these skills on board, certain changes have to happen in your brain. A completely foreign "program" has to take root in there and begin the process of turning a newly-learned action (piano-playing, carpentry, speaking a foreign language) into second nature, a process that will always have room for further development.

So don't fall for promises of easy and quick results! These promises are at best exaggerated. The ebooks and online courses I will be considering on this site will be tested to ensure that they embody a scientifically sound approach to language learning and that they will truly help you master the language you wish.

I look forward to discovering new languages and ways to learn them together with you!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ford,

      I am also a blogger, and I have recently started my first blog on translation. I was just searching through blogger.com trying to find out my translator colleagues, and I found your blog. It would be great if you visit my blog and leave your valuable comments.

      If you find my blog posts of interest, then subscribe to it, so that you could remain updated with my activities on the blog, and share your comments.

      Hope to see you there!

      Best wishes,

      Salman
      http://translationstudiesinfo.blogspot.com/

      Delete